After an accident, there are several important steps to follow. This will help prove your case later and help document liability as well as your injuries.
For experienced legal counsel, call Brewer & Giggenbach, PLLC to schedule a free case evaluation at (304) 212-7289.
Take These Steps Immediately After An Accident
People often ask us: What should I do after an accident? If you have an accident, several things should be done as soon as reasonably possible to preserve evidence and prove liability.
- Get any medical attention you need. This could include taking an ambulance to the hospital, going to an emergency room or following up with your regular doctor.
- Call the police. The police will come to the scene so they can write up an accident report. They may also decide to ticket the responsible party in the accident for traffic offenses such as speeding, reckless driving, failure to yield, failure to stop at a stop sign or traffic light or other offenses. These could help in proving the other party’s liability.
- Track any medical bills related to the accident. These will be critical later on when trying to prove your damages and injuries related to this accident. The medical bills can be an important factor in valuing your injury case and being awarded full and fair compensation.
- Take pictures. Having pictures of the accident scene, including damage to your vehicle and the other party’s vehicle, can help prove liability.
- Collect names and contact information. If there are any witnesses to the accident, write down their contact information. Even if you don’t think you will need a witness, if someone stopped to help, you may want that information later.
- Get the other party’s information. Write down contact information from others involved in the accident, including names, phone numbers, types of vehicle and insurance information.
- Consult with a lawyer. Having an attorney on your side when seeking compensation from the other party’s insurance company can make all the difference in being treated fairly and taken seriously in your injury case.
Make Your Appointment For A Free Case Evaluation
Enlisting the assistance of an experienced attorney early on could make the biggest difference in getting the compensation you need for the injuries you suffered in the accident. Call Brewer & Giggenbach, PLLC, in Morgantown for a free case evaluation. You may also email our West Virginia law firm to schedule your appointment. We work on a contingency basis, which means you pay us nothing upfront. We get paid a percentage of your settlement if we win the case for you.
WATCH ALL VIDEOS
What Should You Do After An Accident?
- View All Services
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Neglect
- Wrongful Death
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Law
- Employment Law
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law